In conclusion, apostrophes are NEVER EVER EVER used to make a word plural--ever! They are used in contractions (such as "can't" for "cannot") or to show ownership (as in "That's Bruce's room.") If you wish to make a word plural, simply add an s or an es without an apostrophe. (Unless it's an irregular plural, like deer, oxen, octopi, etc.)
About Me
- Doug and Amanda
- It's been 10 amazing years together! We now have a beautiful baby girl. Doug works as an "immunochemistry staff scientist" at a biotech company. Amanda is enjoying her job as a third grade teacher. Our pup, Charlie keeps us busy and entertained!
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Apostrophes
One of my pet peeves is incorrect usage of apostrophes. Especially when on a sign or something of that nature. Anyways, the other night we went to a restaurant. We were the only people in there, but somehow we still managed to get the worst service ever! I was already irritated, but the glaring misuse of apostrophes in the various flyers throughout the restaurant pushed me over the edge. Take a look:



In conclusion, apostrophes are NEVER EVER EVER used to make a word plural--ever! They are used in contractions (such as "can't" for "cannot") or to show ownership (as in "That's Bruce's room.") If you wish to make a word plural, simply add an s or an es without an apostrophe. (Unless it's an irregular plural, like deer, oxen, octopi, etc.)
In conclusion, apostrophes are NEVER EVER EVER used to make a word plural--ever! They are used in contractions (such as "can't" for "cannot") or to show ownership (as in "That's Bruce's room.") If you wish to make a word plural, simply add an s or an es without an apostrophe. (Unless it's an irregular plural, like deer, oxen, octopi, etc.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
That bugs me SOOOO bad too!!!
How about the irregular plural for moose? =)
Thus concludes your irate grammar minute with Amandoug!
haha your hilarious I only wish I knew what a verb was.
AMEN!! I guess it's the teacher inside of us. I'm kind of a grammar/punctuation Nazi.
Love it! Thank's (jk, thanks) for setting us straight!
Methink's your summer's movin' kind'a slow. With all the wildly rantable hysteric topicals out there, you choose apostrification. To each their "cause celebre", but I'm for hoping your fifteen minute's fame wraps a bigger burrito. Pass the lecture wine, I's just getting started...
I feel like it is ok to use an apostrophe to make the abbreviation for cubic centimeter plural. "cc's" makes more sense than "ccs" to me. But that may be the only exception.
Post a Comment