About Me

My photo
It's been 10 amazing years together! We now have a beautiful baby girl. Doug works as an "immunochemistry staff scientist" at a biotech company. Amanda is enjoying her job as a third grade teacher. Our pup, Charlie keeps us busy and entertained!

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Let the Corruption Begin

I made it. Barely. Ha ha, today was my first day of teaching. It went pretty well. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. It's really weird that I am finally a teacher. I have only wanted to be two things in my life: Celine Dion or a teacher. I went with the more secure choice. I think it was the right one.

Even though I feel that I made the right choice career-wise, I think I made a couple of mistakes today:
1. I let the students choose their own seats, which ended up being a bad choice because all the boys sat together and all the girls sat together. I had to adjust accordingly.
2. COMMUNITY SUPPLIES! Stupid. I thought they could share some supplies, like pencils, folders, erasers, etc. But I also collected their folders and notebooks, thinking I could re-distribute the folders so that each student would have a yellow folder for one subject, a red for another, etc. I didn't take into consideration all of the Hannah Montana, Spiderman, and Chuck Norris (yes, Chuck Norris) folders I would get. A bunch of wasted time for a dumb plan. Oh well. You teach, you learn.
3. Poor time management. I thought things would take a little less time, but I suppose that it's good because I can use leftover activities for tomorrow.

Other problems I encountered were out of my hands. They changed my recess schedule after I had already sent my kids out. Then, there was no bell or whistle or other indication that recess was over, so when I went to pick up my kids most of them were still playing. Finally, at the end of the day I had duty at the parking lot. They did not give me a vest, a clipboard, or instructions, so I just walked around and waved my arms and acted like I knew what I was doing. I think I looked important. Or something.

Anyways, thanks for listening to my ramblings. Now I must go to bed.

8 comments:

Dave & Susie Crandell said...

What grade are you teaching? Good luck!

Doug and Amanda said...

Oops, forgot to say that I'm teaching third. Thanks for the luck!

NameChanged said...

Congrats to you! I am so proud of you, and now that the first day is over, it is all down hill from here. ;)

Don't poke people with your pencil.

kkryno said...

Yeah; and don't rap anyone on the head either! (There's a story to that: ask me!) Anyway, I'm sure you are a great teacher! I am so proud of you as well. Keep up the good work. XXOO Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey girl congratulations with the new teaching gig...I wish I had a teacher like you when I was in school. Don't sweat the little things though you'll get them all ironed out soon and everyone will wanna be in your class..

Love Melissa

Theresa Cloyd said...

wow you finally have a "real job" I think you will get the hang of it. It's not like you've taught before. Good luck on the rest of the year!

Tannis said...

Good luck with teaching!! 3rd grade, that's a pretty fun age.

Cortney said...

haha i love all your ideas they were so great in theory I probably would have done the same things about those notebooks. and make that kid with the chuck norris notebook your favorite. I like him already ahahahah
but on a side note i think you can be celene dion AND a teacher. how fun!!!
take pictures of your classroom!!! what school are you at?