About Me

My photo
It's been 10 amazing years together! We now have a beautiful baby girl. Doug works as an "immunochemistry staff scientist" at a biotech company. Amanda is enjoying her job as a third grade teacher. Our pup, Charlie keeps us busy and entertained!

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hope?

Well, the election is finally over. Some people are elated with the results; some are devastated. This has been a very emotional election. Something has really been bothering me this year though. While I am happy with the fact that more people actually CARE about voting this year, I can't help but notice how much faith people are putting in a mere man. Whether it's Obama or McCain, or even Clinton or Palin, for that matter, our hope should never be in a person. While a person can do great things and put into place effective policies, we must be careful not to deify a person. And I feel like that is what a lot of people have done this election. From the iconic pictures of Obama with the word "Hope" underneath, to the countless emails I have received touting McCain as the savior for this country from all things evil, I think people are going too far. We already have a hope--Jesus Christ. We already have a Savior--Jesus Christ. These men are just that--men. Fallible, limited, although well-intentioned, men. Let's be careful not to put more pressure on them than they can handle--or than they deserve.

6 comments:

kkryno said...

Let's just all work together to make this nation a good place to be. I know that you guys are of that spirit, because you both show that every day in your prospective workplaces.

I promise to make a better effort for you and your children (my grand-children) so that they may inherit a world with a future worth living in.

Oh; and also for your nieces and nephews, too! ;)

Love, Mom

Dave & Susie Crandell said...

Well said!

nate and amy crandell said...

Nicely said, I like that, it's very true there is only one Christ and the rest are just people. But we will be okay (hopefully)!!! :)

Theresa Cloyd said...

Amen to that! I can't believe how much some people are going crazy this election.

Taryn and Sterling said...

What a great view, I love this post. Very true.

NameChanged said...

I feel that the "Hope" tm has come from the collective. I have a renewed faith in mankind. Not just because my bestie won, but because people began to care; some even became passionate. That inspires me. I have hope for all of us, and I see that coming to realization.

:)

word verification=jeulens