About Me

My photo
It's been 10 amazing years together! We now have a beautiful baby girl. Doug works as an "immunochemistry staff scientist" at a biotech company. Amanda is enjoying her job as a third grade teacher. Our pup, Charlie keeps us busy and entertained!

Monday, April 15, 2013

She's Here!

April 5.  A date that never meant much to me before.  But now, it is my daughter's birthday!  My DAUGHTER!  Yes, Eleanor Fern made her debut a little over a week ago.  We have prayed for her for so long.  And now she is finally here!  Here is her story (if you aren't into birth stories, scroll to the bottom for pictures of her first couple of days, or skip this post altogether):

Thursday, April 4 I took off of work early because my mom was flying in from Alaska.  My sister and I picked her up from the airport and went to lunch together.  Then they both headed to Farmington so she could spend time with my sister and her girls before I had the baby.

That night, Doug and I went out to eat at a Mexican restaurant near our house.  I didn't eat much, because I wasn't that hungry, and the green chile in my enchiladas was a little spicy.  We did a couple of errands like buying popsicles for my students and thank you cards for parent volunteers, as Friday was set to be my last day at work.  We turned in fairly early.  I was exhausted.

At 1:30, I got up to go the restroom.  When I stood up I felt as though my water broke.  I also felt a cramp.  However, I had thought my water broke a couple of weeks before (it hadn't).  So I didn't want to wake Doug up for nothing.  I was surprised though when I returned to bed and felt a gush of fluid.  I was sure at this point.

"Babe, I think my water broke!" I said.  He jolted up out of bed.  He asked me some questions to be sure.  Then he called the midwife, who said to go back to sleep if we could.  (We really lucked out because our midwife ended up being on call that night, and she wasn't on call at that hospital again until the 25th.)  We were to go in when contractions were 3-4 minutes apart and 1 minute long, or by 6:30 if nothing else happened.    I made some calls to my sister and my dad, but I told them not to rush down here, as I know how first-time labors often go. We also texted our doula to let her know things were starting.

We went back to bed, but it was like the worst Christmas Eve insomnia ever.  And within about 30 minutes, my contractions began, and I could no longer rest or even lay in bed.  Doug started timing them and within an hour they were 3 minutes apart lasting 1 minute.  We rushed around to gather our things and headed to the hospital.  I had 3 contractions on the way to the hospital, which was only 7 minutes away, and 3 contractions from the parking lot up to the room.

When we got to triage, the nurse wanted to check me because I was having a lot of pressure.  She wanted to make sure it wasn't the baby.  She checked, and I was 6-7cm dilated and fully effaced.  Wha?  So they admitted me right away and wheeled me to the room.  We got to choose which room, because we were the only ones in the maternity ward!

They asked me if I wanted an epidural, and I said no, but I wasn't sure.  They told me I'd have to have a full bag of IV fluids first, and that the anesthesiologist was not at the hospital.  I knew that even if I did want an epidural, that it might be too late the way things were progressing.

My midwife got there and checked me again.  I was at 7 cm.  She gave me the ok to get into the tub.  That felt AMAZING.  The pain was at least cut in half.  I was in there for an hour, and Doug prayed with me and helped me with my breathing.  Then I started to get lightheaded, so they made me get out.

She checked me again, and I was 9 cm.  Well, really I was pretty much 10cm, but a little bit of cervix was still hanging on.  The midwife tried to move it manually, but couldn't.  Soon after, I started feeling the need to push.  She gave me the ok.  The doula had arrived at this point, and was helping Doug massage my back and she was taking pictures for us.  I was using the oxygen since I was lightheaded.

I pushed for a while, and the midwife checked me AGAIN and I was 10cm.  Time to get serious.  At this point, I was really freaked out about having no option of medication if I wanted it.  I also didn't feel like the pushing was doing anything.  I kept saying, "I don't LIKE pushing!"  I just wanted to stop or pause, but my body wouldn't let me have a break.  I started freaking out, and my midwife told me that my fear was stopping my labor.  She gave me some sort of pep talk that I don't remember, and I told her I just wanted a break.  She said ok (like I could really take a break) and I breathed through a couple of contractions.

After my "break", I got serious about pushing.  But everything was bothering me; the light outside, the cars, the clock.  I told Doug no more people were allowed in.  Including my mom and my sister, whom I had originally wanted to be in the room with me.  I pushed for a little while, and then the midwife called Doug over, because he wanted to catch the baby.  He did everything, with her guidance.  Having him do this gave me more confidence, as I knew I must be close.  Then finally he told me her head was out.  A couple more pushes and some manuevering, and she was out!  It was so surreal!

Doug placed her on my chest, and we got to spend the next 2 hours getting to know each other.  They didn't bother me or take her away until then.  Even when they cleaned her up and weighed her and everything, she was in the room with us.  It was all like a dream. 

So all in all, labor was about 6 1/2 hours from start to finish.  Nora was 7 lb. 10 oz. and 20 in. long.  I still can't believe she is actually here!

We got it done!

Eleanor Fern
Maybe she's a little confused about where her meals come from?


Love her already.
Momma and baby.
Sweetheart.



First family photo!


Getting her ready to go home!
Daddy is so proud!


We're home!

Big brother Charlie checking her out.
Nora got him a present.


Charlie is so happy we're home.


Charlie approves of the gift.

These ladies cooked, cleaned, walked my dog, and decorated our house while we were gone!  I love my family.  They are always helpful!  My cousin Marquel, my sister Michele, My aunt Vonda, My mom Vikki, and my aunt Kathy.  Oh, and that's Eleanor in front!

3 generations--My mom, me, and Eleanor!

5 comments:

nate and amy crandell said...

Ahh Congratulations!!! She is so precious and perfect! So happy for you ;)

staceyshawn said...

Ah!! How wonderfully, incredibly, amazingly beautiful! I am so awed by birth stories--and ten times more so by the birth stories of my own friends. They are such a crazy dichotomy of something so universally shared and yet so extremely intimate. What a monumental feat of wonder that you MADE A PERSON, and that your body delivered her to the world!

Congratulations to you and Doug and Nora and everyone else that I know is overjoyed to have her in the world. I can't imagine how much you have been wanting this, and I'm so happy that you finally get to stop wishing and start raising your daughter! <3

Unknown said...

wow!! 6 1/2hours that's amazing!!!!! and im sure you are greatful for that as well :) she is so adorable and we are so happy for the 3 oops 4(charlie) of you!

Cara Jean Polk said...

What a great story! Thank you for taking the time to put it down... for (about?) posterity and for the rest of us. It lets us share in your moments--the whole range of them--and it makes me generally very excited and happy and encouraged. I can't wait to meet Nora in person!

Unknown said...

We are so excited for you! This will be the best adventure of your life yet.